Friday, April 10, 2015

Exploring Line

Around this time last year I was taking a watercolor course, which I struggled with quite a bit in the beginning, but came to love in the end. With the freedom to do whatever our hearts desired, the professor let us explore watercolor in a way that was flexible and personal to each individual artist. So, with the 16 weeks of free exploration I found that line was my element of choice. I was drawn to the various ways and techniques that could manipulate watercolor, as well as how different they were to anything I have done before.

Here are some examples of my line obsession.

This beginning shot shows most of the line work and detail that went into the bark.




This map style composition was an experiment where I would let the color and ink bleed into each other, then I would create forms with line variation. 


 I fed off the maplike composition and created these portraits with more control of the ink and color flow.



Taking this course definitely changed my views on watercolor and opened my mind up to the endless possibilities you have when line is involved. 






1 comment:

  1. You look at your art more than just art but a form and every line and brush stroke is premeditated and meticulous .. Its beauty. I love the way you have elaborated on your "form" and I am glad you are the sponge you are to have soaked in everything you learned.

    ReplyDelete