Tuesday, March 24, 2015

Bald Head: an island of inspiration

During my last semester my painting class took an informal field trip to Bald Head Island to visit the No Boundaries art colony. I had a chance to spend the day meeting wonderful artists and walking down the island shore where I did some "en plein air" painting and sketching. I was particularly drawn to this huge piece of drift wood that had the entire base of the tree trunk intact. Also, there was a point in the water where the currents met which caused a great vertical wall of clashing waves that gave me an overwhelming/indescribable feeling.
When I came home, I knew immediately that I wanted to further investigate my sketches and photos of that day to come up with a small intimate series which could describe the emotions I felt better than words.
In this series, I use watercolor pencils, ink and graphite on 9" x 12" watercolor paper.

 "Dunes"
 "Ocean"
"Driftwood"

Revisiting this series brings all sorts of ideas for new works in the future. Is there any experiences that continue to inspire you time after time? If so, please share your ideas below. I'd love to read your thoughts.

1 comment:

  1. Ahhh... The beach. One of my favorite places and you captured it just beautifully. Love the driftwood!

    ReplyDelete