Thursday, July 17, 2014

Portraits as a Learning Tool

Collage is a wonderful way to create art and the possibilities are infinite. When I decided collage was my next new venture in art I did not realize the amount of restraint that I would have to have while finding the materials for each piece. My first take at collage were these portraits. Focusing on a subject and finding materials to create these portraits was a perfect way to break into this medium. Also, figuring out the many styles/possibilities there are was so fun and exciting I couldn’t wait to work on something bigger. After creating portraits and seeing how materials work together, I found that it was easier for me to sketch some ideas out first, and then find the materials for my next project. Although not all of these portraits are successful, the process was rewarding and making all of these strange characters was a blast.

I highly recommend anybody getting into collage to pick a subject they are interested in, such as animals or trees, and create about 15 small collages to work out any problems or insecurities. After that, I guarantee you will be hooked!




 


 



 


1 comment:

  1. Each one of these collages have such a unique personality...I find myself laughing, sighing, feeling sad and even being a little frightened at one or two of these. I cannot imagine the thought process involved with each creation.

    ReplyDelete